Thursday 17 April 2014

Dream your dreams . . . Face your fears






Congratulations to Sarah Lees whose inspirational quote above received the most Likes on Facebook in last week's light hearted competition (see previous post). I love this quote for it's simplicity and because it is bursting with the optimism of unbridled aspiration and hope for the future. I have pinned the quote to the inspiration board in the reception area of Karen Carpenter Coaching where I hope it will inspire many more people and Sarah has duly received her choice of motivational notecard as a small thank you.

Continuing the theme, this week followers on Facebook were asked to share their favourite inspirational film. Two received an equal number of Likes by the deadline; 'Dune' and 'Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe' and my thanks go to Barrie Collins and (second week in a row) Sarah Lees respectively.

In all honesty, I am not sure I can imagine two more different films yet there is similarity in the focus each shines on the changing aspects of courage, determination and resilience. Of the two, I am much less familiar with 'Dune' so it was a revelation to discover that it is the source of an incredibly potent piece of motivational rhetoric, transcribed below

'I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.'

I am sincerely grateful to Barrie for sharing this quote; I find it has a power that is almost physical, a power that makes the hairs on the back of my neck come alive. Whether it would serve to sustain me in times of physical stress I cannot judge but, as a mantra to prepare for psychological challenges, it has few equals. My hope is that I am not often called upon to face such fears!

Needless to say, this quote is also now pinned to my board as a source of daily inspiration.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment